Friday, September 7, 2012

The Prayer Chair

I picked up this adorable little wooden chair a bit ago but I wanted to share my little creation.
It was in pretty decent shape when we found it and I could have just left it the way it was but I wanted to add something to the seat. 
I thought of doing sheet music but decided to go with artwork from a "Little Golden Book" that I had about prayers.  Eloise Wilkin is the artist and I have loved her children illustrations for many years so I chose this page and cut out the outer rim of the flowers that bordered the prayer and illustration and Mod Podged it to the seat.
I love the detail and colors so I bent the overlapping paper to fit into the corners of the chair on the back frame and around the seat as opposed to cutting the art off.
When I got to adhering the leaves on the sides of the seat to frame the edge.  While this technique was labor intensive I really love the effect.  I finished off all the cutouts with 2 coats of Mod Podge to seal them.
While the prayer chair isn't very practical for every day use with kids, it turned out very sweet.  I gave the chair to our aunt as a birthday present.  She collects porcelain dolls and fell in love with the chair when she saw it.  I anticipated her setting one of her dolls on it but she said the chair was too pretty to be covered up... I have to agree with her. 
May you and your children be blessed this school year!

I'm sharing this with Miss Mustard Seed's Friday Furniture Link-up Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you so please take an extra minute to comment or leave a suggestion. I usually respond to comments within 24-hours. Be Blessed - Elaine